Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Trailers and Featurettes and Subtle Knives

 



After having just seen this on YouTube, I had to share a link here. As noted in an earlier post sharing my personal thoughts (and my personal collection) concerning the Pullmanverse, I do have some mixed feelings on the HBO His Dark Materials series. While I did purchase a digital copy of season one and am currently enjoying my second watch more than my first, I have serious misgivings about the fidelity to the books, or lack thereof. This also includes some of the casting and occasionally the general look, feel, and tone of the show. 

However, I am not a hater, and I'm trying to let it be its own thing. When viewed as a series very loosely based on the novels, I can step back, detach a little, and appreciate it for what it is. I like Lin-Manuel Miranda in general, and specifically what he said here in the featurette. "We get to see all these variations of Philip Pullman's world." I can live with that. It is not His Dark Materials the books - it's a variation, an adaptation, an interpretation. Fair enough. 

(Of if you want to get meta with the "Barnard-Stokes business," if there are an infinity of worlds and universes, well, the HBO series is simply one in the infinite deviations of the prime story)

On its own terms, the series is cool enough. I am fond of some of the cast, and the ambition behind the production. I would be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the promise of finally getting to see an adaptation of The Subtle Knife on the screen, albeit a little one. Screen, that is. I sincerely hope the fans and the cast and crew are able to film the third season and final book as well. I definitely look forward to Will and Lyra meeting, as well as the broadening scope of the story. And the daemons do look even better, so hopefully we will see more of them. 

I would also be lying if I said I haven't really liked the trailers for season two so far. I love me some trailers. I'm old enough to remember what it was like when The Phantom Menace trailer debuted over twenty years ago. Whatever one thinks of the final product, that trailer was pure magic. And I also love any behind-the-scenes information and insight I can score, and the above video offers us a really good featurette. 

So go watch and enjoy the countdown to season two!


 Stay Dusty My Friends


#PhilipPullman #HisDarkmaterials #SeasonTwo #BuildingTheRepublic 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog News and the Folio Society

  Greetings Shadow Chasers and Dust Makers. It has been a minute.  But first off, check out that sublime edition of His Dark Materials, cou...